Sunday, February 21, 2010

It's been a while

Wow how time flies! I just realized that it has been several months since I have posted. Since my last post was in October, I think, we have only had one tournament in the district. We fished in November at Lake Graham. I missed that tournament because my daughter had a parade that she was marching in. The guys didn't too very well down there that day. Only 5 of the 13 guys that made the trip caught fish. It took 11 pounds to win.

In December we fished at Amon Carter Lake around Bowie Texas. This was my first time fishing this lake and my 2nd time as a non-boater since my boat died. It was COLD!! We started the morning and it was about 34 degrees in the air and the water temps were in the low 50's. It was a tough day of fishing. I was one of four people that caught fish and only 5 fish were weighed. My lone bass was a 2.7lb largemouth that came with about 15 minutes to go. I caught her dragging a football head jig in about 8-12 feet of water next to an isolated piece of brush. I thought I felt a little tick so I set the hook and there she was! I really needed the points since I had blanked at Bridgeport this year.

Our scheduled tournament in January and February were cancelled and re-scheduled for a later date thanks to the snow and ice that we have gotten this year. It has been a really odd winter as far as the weather has been for this area. In January I did manage to sell my broken boat. A guy drove all the way down from Kansas to buy it. He was going to do the motor work himself and sold it to him for a little less than what I owed on it. Since then I have been looking and looking for a new boat. I had found several only to either call a day too late or schedule a look a weekend too late. Most that I was finding were a good 3 to 5 hour drive away. Larry at Larry's Marine here in Wichita Falls had a TR21 on his website so I decided to drive down and take a look at it. It was way out of my price range, but I figured what the heck. Of course when I got there it was sold already.

While I was there I asked them if they had anything else used or knew of anyone that was trying to sell one. He told me that he had a Triton TR186 that a guy was trying to sell in storage out back. I took a look at it and asked him what the guy wanted for it. He said that he wanted $12,000 for it. I asked him to call him and see if he would take 10 for it. Within an hour Larry called me back and said he would only take 12 for it. I said thanks and didn't give it another thought. Fast forward four days, Larry calls me and asked me if I still wanted to give 10 for the boat. I told him sure and asked if they had changed their minds. Turns out the bank was taking the boat and asked Larry to get 2 or 3 bids for it. My $10000 bid was the high bid. So now I am really excited and I told Larry that I would stop by and wanted to run the boat on the lake before he sent the bid to the bank. The next afternoon, which was Wednesday, I went down to run the boat and Larry tells me that the bank just called him and told him that the co-signer on the note was going to buy it. Great! Now I am back to square one and looking. Larry said that he would try to find me one within a day or two.

So Thursday afternoon the phone rings. I have no idea who the guy on the other end of the line is. He tells me that he is sorry about the whole deal and that Larry gave him my number. It was the co-signer on the boat and he tells me that he just closed on the loan for the boat and asked if I wanted to buy it. I told him sure and we agreed on a price. So long story short I found and lost and eventually bought a 2004 Triton TR 186! Just in time for the next tournament on 14 March.

Our next tournament is on Millers Creek. I have never fished that lake before so we shall see what happens. I am currently sitting in 7th place in the district. They guy that is leading this year is fishing with us for the first year and he has been doing it all right. I am glad that I will have a boat the rest of the season and I hope to give him a run for his money. The ABA championship is on Kentucky Lake this fall. Ya'll have a good one and I will talk to you soon!

2 comments:

Basspastor said...

Cool Beans.

For me, I am casually looking for a used 25 horse. I think the 20 that was on the boat I use is pretty much done for.

Alabama Fishing said...

It's awesome that you got a boat. It's about that time for me to get a new boat.