Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I am sooo glad that I have full coverage insurance

Wow, what a weekend I had this past weekend. It was really nice weather, so I decided that I would take the boat out on Sunday for a little bit. I had fished for a couple of hours and was going to move from one spot over to another across the lake. I fired the big motor up and off I went. All of a sudden I felt a jolt and heard a big thum and the motor dies. I had hit something submurged in the water and killed the motor. I hit the key and the motor fired right back up but would not go into forward gear. Great!! I am about a 5 minute run at 50 MPH from the ramp. If I had to troll back I would still probably be making my way across the lake. I kept messing with it and finally got it to go into gear, so I ran back to the ramp and parked it and went to get the truck. When I got the trailer back down the ramp, the boat would not go into gear, so I had to ratchet it up onto the trailer. Got it up and looked at the prop and one of the blades on the stainless prop is bent.

I got back home and started researching lower units and realized that it was going to cost me between 700 and 2000 bucks for a rebuilt or a new lower unit. So now I am racking my brain trying to figure out how to cut some cost and do some of the work myself. I got to work and asked a guy that I consider my fishing mentor if he had ever removed a lower unit. He asked what happened and I told him and he said, "Reney, have you talked to your insurance about it yet?" Then it dawned on me, I have full coverage on the boat, they may cover that. So I called up Progressive and told them what happened and they told me it was covered and asked me when and where I was going to take it. I took the boat to Larry's Marine here in Wichita Falls and dropped it off.

I talked to the guys at Larry's today and they told me that they talked to the adjustor and he wants them to tear it down before they will work up the estimate. I have been told that I should have the boat back in time for the next tournament on February 22nd at Lake Graham. I really hope to have it back by the weekend before so I can get a little practice in first. I haven't been to Graham in about a year.

I am really glad that I had full coverage insurance on the boat. if there is anyone out there that is not sure on whether to have insurance or not, it is worth it when you need it. So just like your car, keep that boat insured!! Well until next time ya'll have a good one! GO DALE JR!!!

No comments: