Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Don't like a slot limit

Well I didn't do so hot on Bridgeport this past weekend. I only weighed 2 fish that were 2.46lbs. Bridgeport has a slot limit for largemouth between 14 and 18 inches. With that, we can weigh 12 inch fish. Everything except the two I weighed that day was either around 11 1/2 inches or they were right in the slot around 16 or 17 inches. It is really disheartening when you have to release a 3 pound fish in the middle of a tourney because of the slot limit. Most of the guys that I talked to don't really like to fish bridegport either, but we continue to schedule it because it supposedly brings in other guys from a recently disolved district. Now i don't know about that since it brought in only 3 guys out of our district and we still had 1 less than the last tournament. I get a couple of months off now. Our next tournament isn't until Feb 22nd at Graham.

I like fishing Graham, there is no slot limit and it is a power plant lake so the fishing is pretty good there usually. I told the wife that I wasn't going to fish the Bridgeport tournament in April and she wanted that in writing! Who knows I may go back and fish it after all. I know that next year when we are doign the schedule my vote goes for anythign other than Bridgeport. We have 2 lakes that are closer than Bridgeport and there is no slot limit. We could fish Amon G Carter or Nacona and drive less and probablly have more weight.

One more thing and I will get off of my soap box. Why is it that you have to have at least 20 people in order for it to be a max points tournament? In my opinion that does nothing but handicaps the folks that fish in smaller districts. Just because I fish in a district that only has 15 guys show up doesn't mean that I wouldn't do as well in a district that has 50 guys show up. Points are points and they will fall where they will. I could (not that it will ever happen) but I could win all of our scheduled tournaments with 15 guys in them, including the 2 day and would still be trailing someone who fished in a district that has 50 regulars and only had 2 wins. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Well that is my rant for this week. The entire family is trying to get over a cold. My step mother in law just left on Sunday and my Mother in law arrives for Thanksgiving on Saturday. Ya'll have a good one!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man that is disapointing. Usually when your releasing a three punder its a good thing. Bummer man.